Monday, December 13, 2010

Dragnet!

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. (Gal 5:19-21)

The apostles seemed to go in for these long lists of sins. It’s like a dragnet – sweeping up every one of us in one way or another. When we read these lists, though, we seem to focus on the big sins, which is convenient because I don’t commit too many of those. I want to pat myself on the back because I stay away from orgies. But a second look at this list proves that I have little to boast about.

It seems to me that this list divides rather neatly into three categories: the sensual, the spiritual and the social sins. The sensual sins are: sexual immorality, impurity, debauchery, drunkenness and orgies. These sins involve abuse of the body. The spiritual sins are idolatry and witchcraft. They involve a direct challenge to the supremacy of God. But the social sins involve disharmony between people. They are hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy. Ah, now here is a list that I cannot so easily absolve myself of! It is remarkable that this is also the longest list. And again, it is remarkable that Paul finds so many synonyms for “conflict”. These are the sins that so easily find their way into the church. While we are congratulating ourselves for avoiding the sensual and spiritual sins, we find our community riven with factions, disagreements and petty jealousies. We’re too spiritual to let them out in the open usually, but they subtly invade our speech. “Can you believe what he said?” “Did you see what she was wearing?”

When we examine ourselves carefully, we find that what Jesus said is true. We often can manage to control our outward appearance and behavior, but it is what's inside a man that makes him unclean. (Mt 15:18-19) And then I take a second look at the sensual and spiritual sins and find that, while I may be keeping my actions clean, I have not always kept my heart clean. Lord, bring conviction when my heart strays from you. Thank you for these verses that remind me how very far I am from your holiness. Teach me to walk in your ways. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment