Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Not So Clever

To fear the Lord is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech. (Pro 8:13)

What is it that I love so much about the sharp retort or the smart putdown? When I say these things that hurt others why do I feel good? This verse gives a hint – it is pride. My sinful nature thinks that the way to lift myself up is to put others down. And it works for a moment. I feel a momentary thrill from the clever putdown, but it is always followed by the icky feeling you get when you know you’ve done wrong. One of the most important things we need to do to live a righteous life is to bridle the tongue. (James 3:3) Lord, forgive me for hurting others with my tongue. Let my speech always be full of grace, seasoned with the salt of your truth. (Col 4:6) May my words not be barbs but blessings. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment