Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Slow Learners

We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. (Heb 5:11)

Ouch! The author of Hebrews doesn’t pull any punches. He has just been explaining that Jesus is a “high priest in the order of Melchizedek.” No doubt if the Bible were a college, Hebrews would be an upper level course. But the author doesn’t say, “It is hard to explain because it is complicated.” He says, “It is hard to explain because you are slow to learn.”

What makes us slow to learn? Ask any teacher. It’s not the brightest kids who learn the most; it’s the ones who make the effort. In this passage the author of Hebrews chides his readers for not investing the time, for not being like “the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.” (v14) In this respect we are no different than the New Testament readers of Hebrews. Why is it so hard to invest the time to study the Bible daily? The flesh rebels. There are so many other things to do with our time. Bible study is like an investment. We invest a portion of our day in it consistently and over time we reap great rewards. But there are always other things we could spend our money on that will yield immediate gratification. And so with our time as well.

Lord, thank you that you have brought me to a place in my life where I have been reading your Word consistently every day. Forgive me for taking so long to establish that discipline. Help me to overcome the daily temptation to spend this time in other ways. Help me to keep my priorities straight. Thank you for the blessings that I receive when I am faithful to stay in your Word. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment