Friday, November 5, 2010

Hope of Glory

Then the cloud covered the Tent of Meeting, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle. Moses could not enter the Tent of Meeting because the cloud had settled upon it, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle. (Ex 40:34-35)

Which is the greater miracle, the Shekinah glory filling the tabernacle, or “Christ in you, the hope of glory?” (Col 1:27) How marvelous to think about a time when the presence of God was so clearly and indisputably present! How simple and obvious it was to follow God’s leading. When the cloud lifted, they followed it. But the Presence of the Lord was also carefully isolated from the people – inside the courtyard and behind two curtains. Even Moses could not enter the tent when the cloud settled upon it.

As marvelous as it was to have a direct, physical manifestation of God’s presence, the greater miracle is that today he lives in the heart of every believer! What a privilege to BE the tabernacle of God. By Christ’s atoning death for us the veil was torn and now, far from being separated from God, we could not be any closer. And yet…I still long to see God's Shekinah glory. I have his promise that I will – Christ in me, the hope of glory. His presence in me assures me that I will one day witness a far greater manifestation of his glory than anything the ancient Israelites ever experienced.

But what of those around us? God’s visible presence with the Israelites put all the other tribes and nations on notice – these are God’s people. What is God’s plan today? “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (Jn 13:35) It is amazing that God’s plan for this age relies so heavily on us. In Moses’ day his presence was visible, and God worked mighty miracles to show the nations that he was the Lord of Israel. Today, God’s presence is in my heart and my life is supposed to demonstrate the reality of his presence! Lord, help me to rise to this tremendous challenge. I am deeply humbled that you have chosen us to be such an integral part of your plan. I am willing, Lord, but I know I need your help. Thank you for the work that you are doing in me to glorify yourself. Teach me to show your love to everyone around me, so that your presence would be real in their lives. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment