Thursday, November 25, 2010

Knowing vs. Doing

It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way. (Pro 19:2)

Zeal isn’t enough. If you don’t know what you’re doing you’ll charge off half-cocked and make a mess. Running is no better than walking if you’re headed the wrong way. But the opposite problem is worse. To have knowledge and no zeal will accomplish nothing. He who knows what to do and doesn’t do it is worse than the one who doesn’t know what to do but tries anyway. Knowledge without action is sterile. Worse is the one who thinks he knows what to do, but then sits back and criticizes the ones who are actually in the fight, trying to accomplish something. Lord, give me zeal to match my knowledge and knowledge to match my zeal. Forgive me for ever thinking I know what to do but failing to act. Teach me humility in the face of those who try and fail when I have not even made the attempt. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment