Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Talk Is Cheap

Many a man claims to have unfailing love, but a faithful man who can find? (Pro 20:6)

It is always so much easier to proclaim my undying love and faithfulness to God than it is to actually live it. Living it is the messy part. Church is fun, but the hard work begins on Monday. (Metaphorically speaking, that is. It can sometimes be difficult to keep a holy attitude even at church!) I keep thinking there is some secret to living the Christian life that I haven’t yet uncovered – something that will unlock hidden reserves of willpower and strength. I know that God is my strength, and the Holy Spirit who dwells in me is all powerful. But he is gentle and, alas, awaits my true surrender. It is finally my choice – to choose God over my flesh, to choose his way rather than the world’s way. But God must empower me to choose, or I will ultimately fail. The father of the demon-possessed boy said to Jesus, “I believe; help my unbelief!” (Mk 9:24) And so I can say, “Lord, I choose you; help me not to waver!”

No comments:

Post a Comment