Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Not Too Difficult?

Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. (Deut 30:11)

A remarkable statement, given that Moses had just finished reading the entire Book of the Law to the people of Israel. I would have been daunted by it; I’m sure they were too. And today we know how it turned out – they failed miserably. Why did Moses think they could do it? Verse 14 contains the answer, "The word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart that you may obey it." Their hearts were stirred by the reading of the Law, but they soon grew cold again. We have a profound advantage over the Israelites – Jesus Christ has given each of us a new heart, fresh and clean. And he has taken up permanent residence there.

It took thirty chapters for Moses to lay out all the provisions of the Law for the people, but in verse 19 he summarized it for them quite simply, “This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blesses and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live.” Jesus is Life. Jesus is the Bread of Heaven that nourishes my soul. I choose Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment